Cornwall’s administrative centre, Truro is the site of its cathedral and a thriving shopping centre.
The name is thought variously to mean 3 streets, castle on the river or people of the river crossing. Historically it dates back to the Middle Ages when it was a medieval borough and one of Cornwall’s Stannary towns, where smelted tin was tested for its quality. The Stannary Courts continued here until the mid nineteenth century.
Truro’s position on the confluence of the rivers Allen and Kenwyn, with the resultant Truro River flowing to the sea at Falmouth, has always ensured its importance as a port. During the Civil War, the Royalists established a Mint at Truro.
In 1877, Truro was given the honour of becoming a city and became the site of Cornwall’s cathedral. This impressive building, designed by the architect, J.L. Pearson and constructed in granite, stands at the heart of Truro in an area known as High Cross. The High Cross, a Wheel Headed Wayside Cross, can be seen mounted on its new granite shaft, where it was re-erected in the late 1980s.
Truro has many fine Georgian buildings with Lemon Street, Strangeways Terrace and the attractive late Georgian crescent Walsingham Place being notable. A monument to the explorer Richard Lander stands at the top of Lemon Street. This famous Cornish son was born in Truro at the old Fighting Cocks Inn. He and his brother John are noted for recording the course of the Niger River.
Truro is a short drive of just over 30 minutes from CLC Hustyns resort and is a good place for a spot of high street shopping.